Thursday, August 13, 2015

mixtape for my new teenager!


I've seen this thirteen coming from a long way off but it's still surprising it's here. Thirteen! ThirTEEN. I have a teenager! She's the sweetest, bestest teenager around and still loves to hug her momma. Still hates coffee though. So puzzling.

To celebrate, I made my girl a reversible, furry stinkface pillow, a banana cake and also this mixtape. If you are new here, mixtapes have been a birthday tradition with my girls since they were teeny. I love putting them together. I tried to pick songs with a 'teenager' theme, along with other songs she likes, songs she'll grow to like, and songs from memorable movies. That Rush song is in honor of my Schmoopie. He's so proud his daughters are getting into his music. She likes Spirit of Radio but Subdivisions is a perfect anti-conformist teen anthem, I think.


That first song was perfect to blast on our sound system the morning of her birthday. It's an over-the-top stereotype of teen princesses. "Gimme a break, I'm just a teenager..." Pretty funny. Here's my birthday girl getting a sweet hug from me at Nana's house...

 
...which turns into a half nelson and her saying "MOOOOMMM!" as I'm trying to tell everyone the beautiful story of the morning she was born. "Thirteen years ago at eight o'clock in the morning I was saying to the nurse, "Someone just kill me..."


Well, she was 9 lbs 2 oz. She owes me big.

Oh, thirteen! I remember you well! I was still so awkward looking and nervous and dissatisfied about everything. Braces. Anxiety. Terrible hair. My teenage daughter is so not that. She seems laid back and completely comfortable with being herself. She loves to read fantasy stories, draw, listen to music, and go places with her Dad. She's funny. She's meticulous about privacy and is mortified when I walk around the house in my underdrawers. (Hey, we are all girls here! For pete's sake!) She's getting lean and lanky like her Daddy. As she's pulling away from us and gaining independence, she's also getting a fine, discerning mind of her own and such a caring, tender spirit. We love her so much!

7 comments:

  1. Aww... I love how you do those tapes for your daughters! Sounds like you have a beautiful young lady there, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Grandma G, thanks so much! I'm a very lucky mommy. I lucked out and got the two bestest girls.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! You look too fresh-faced to have a teenager. :) And I laughed out loud . . . my youngest pee-wee was 9lbs2oz as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Skooks, aw, you are sweet! And wow! The exact same poundage? Then you KNOW. Ow.

      Delete
  3. Sniff, just got a little vaclempt. Love your sweet girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thanks, Bob! Can't believe they are getting old like this. What happened?? You are in the same boat next year.

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!