Tuesday, January 26, 2016

what I'm up to


Hey, guys! I'm in the middle of a freelance graphic design job that I do every year at this time. So I'm spending a good bit of my time in front of my Preciousss (otherwise known as my Mac) and not playing with felt and fabrics. Also I'm eating soup. Lots of soup.

In completely unrelated news, how about that new X-Files episode? Love it? Hate it? I was underwhelmed, but my Schmoopie loved it. We are long-time X-Files devotees so we were both curious about this revival. I tend toward pessimism for sequels, but I'll wait and see about the next episode before I call it.

Now entering the realm of my opinion: I thought it was pretty forced and choppy and had zero chemistry. I really don't like the jaded place that the Mulder/Scully relationship is in right now. Also the painfully long rant from Mulder trying to mesh the many season's worth of carefully constructed alien conspiracy theory into the current government plot twist was quite a reach, even for him. I guess sometimes it's hard to recapture that mojo. And what is up with Mulder's hair?

But now...I'm sparked with the desire to revisit all my favorite awesome episodes, including Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and Bad Blood with Luke Wilson, as seen above. *Sigh* Sheriff Hartwell is dreamy, isn't he, Scully? Look at Mulder's face. Priceless. I so love this one. Clever, quirky, downright funny. Perfect showcase for their differing approaches. Schmoopie's favorite is Home, but I find that one so disturbing I can hardly bring myself to watch it again. Gah. That one rose up from some pretty dark interior places from whoever wrote it. It forever creepified the normally romantic Wonderful! Wonderful! for me. Watch at your own risk.


Spoiler alert: I've also just finished this novel. I have a mixed reaction. I was so drawn into the historical setting and the beautiful writing and the flashback style of story telling but have to tell you it I was Most Displeased with the ending. I fell so in love with Werner and Marie-Laure that I have to admit I had constructed some kind of hopeful, idyllic future life for them in my head. I don't require books to have a happy ending, but Mr Doerr spent so much time carefully weaving the threads of their fate together and drawing the knot closed it seemed inevitable they would end up tightly bound. Letting it go...what are you reading?

10 comments:

  1. Ooh! I love your new header colors! Pretty!

    Are you on Goodreads? I think I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't read All the.. I actually own the stinking thing! I'm reading a lot at the moment (I like having options) but one I just started is The Wife, the Maid and the Mistress. I'm only a few pages into it. It's a mystery! I have high hopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, we watched the X Files when I was younger (I was born in '80) and I really liked it, but I can't say I'm very excited about the new stuff. I'll hafta wait till it's on Netflix anyway!

      Delete
    2. Catie, all the good seasons of X-Files are currently streaming on Netflix...I'm going to binge watch it later. :-) No, I'm not on Goodreads, but I don't know why. Yes, I do know why. I have reached media website threshold. haha

      Delete
    3. I hear ya, sister! I'm boycotting Facebook right now myself.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for both of your reviews Larissa. I had planned on reading the book you mention, but I think I will skip it. I am presently reading Liane Moriarty's "What Alice Forgot" after thoroughly enjoying "The Husband's Secret". I also enjoyed "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins. Very slow to get in to, but twist and turns completely unexpected - a fun read. I will give a go at the X-Files tonight. Oh my gosh Gillian was amazing in the NetFlix series The Fall. I've been wanting to see her in this. Thanks again! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, sorry for scaring you away from it, Elizabeth. I'd say it's still worth reading but just brace yourself. haha. I read a sample of all three of the books you listed and I've got those on my 'to read' list. Very intriguing! I agree, Gillian was fabulous in The Fall. What a gripping series! Her English accent seemed effortless so I guess her time in London was helpful for that!

      Delete
  3. Okay, The Fall, check. Adding it to the list. Read All The Light You Cannot See last year. Beautiful, moving, but, alas, also depressing. Still worth reading because I love me some WWII fiction. Speaking of which, did you read The Nightingale? I liked that one, too. Would you believe we haven't watched the new X-Files yet??? Thanks, btw, for the Home reminder, since my husband's across the ocean and Ash swears he saw someone in the kitchen earlier. A man with an orange head and a purple shirt. So. Sleep tight, me! Maybe a good time to start binge watching The Fall...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a sample of the Nightingale in my iBooks. Haven't gotten round to it because I'm currently reading a badly written and embarrassing series of YA books. I keep correcting her vocabulary as I read but I can't stop reading it. I'm not sure why I'm writing this reply, as you are surely captives of the man with the orange head and purple shirt and will never see it.

      Delete
  4. " I want to beleive" I really do lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, IMR, me too, but my verdict is: Meh.

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!