Monday, August 29, 2016

what I've been up to, Pt 1


Y'all, thanks so much for your very encouraging comments about my first talk in Madison! Here is my report:

1) No one left
2) No one threw anything
3) I did not throw up or faint

So, it's all good. The Madison Station Quilt Guild folks were very gracious to me. And so talented! I really enjoyed seeing their quilt creations. And I got to show them some very cute childhood pictures of my big sister (their quilt guild president), Leigh Hubbard. She loved that part! 

I will take a few mental pointers with me to the next talk I am forced am privileged to give (if in fact I ever have to decide to do that again). Like that it's very important to have the laptop with your Powerpoint presentation in front of you and not behind. Sorry to those who had a hard time hearing me as I constantly turned around.

Photo above is Team Holland that same week at my beautiful niece Jamie's wedding. L to R, Thing 2, Schmoopie, Yours Truly, Thing 1. OK my dress. Yes, that's a tunic from Target. She was married outside. In August. In Alabama. I'll just let you think about that for a minute. Combine in your mind pavement liquifying heat with 400% humidity and then imagine yourself wearing a form fitting evening dress with a satin lining and Spanx for several hours. NOPE.

After purchasing and returning several dresses, I thought the tunic was genius because:
a) it in no way touched any part of my body except at the shoulders
b) it's lightweight
c) it has strategic placement of dark blue insets under the arms to disguise unladylike amounts of sweat
d) it's not a black dress at a wedding, which is the only other color that would have been feasible under the circumstances, since I tend to 'glow' more than other ladies

The low heeled shoes pictured were not supposed to actually be on my feet at the wedding but after several trips back and forth over uneven brick pathways and grassy lawns I wisely decided my (much more elegant) platform wedges would be suicide.


The modified tunic was too short for a dress, so I made this decorative slip to go under it at the last minute, which in hindsight was not as cute as I'd hoped, but it worked. It would've looked better to have a more full, ruffly hem. Duly noted.


More importantly, here's my radiant and very happily married niece and her Prince Charming, Isaac. Their personal vows of marriage were just beautiful. I'm so happy for both of them! In the background note my great nephew ring bearer (6) 'encouraging' my great niece flower girl (4) to come with him down the aisle like she was supposed to. She declined. It's a girl's prerogative.

I spent part of my summer break designing Jamie and Isaac's wedding invitations, luncheon invitations, and wedding fans. I will photograph them and show you! I love how they turned out.

Have you missed me here lately? It's been hard to post regularly this summer. Here I thought I'd have heaps of free time for a few months. Instead it's been like a blur of activity. I'm still kind of shocked school break is actually over. Feeling a bit grumpy about that, in fact. Like I've been cheated somehow. Must get over that and get on with Things!

More of what I've been up to coming soon!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely family photo! And I like how you added the length to your dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Grandma G! I would give the slip a bit more volume/lacyness if I had to do it over again for sure.

      Delete
  2. Awwww you are beautiful Larissa. Yes, I endured/survived both of my daughters weddings in 18 months time oh my, and also wore sensible shoes. We are the mothers hhahahahaa
    You did good, soon... one day, hard to believe, you will be the mother of the bride- x2. After both weddings, you get a shiny medal to wear any time you like, and presents, and two boys to love.
    Okay, let's stick to now. Your schmoop is sweet and I know he loves you. Your daughters are beautiful just like their mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, I'm going to just keep you in my pocket for when I'm feeling down. You are so kind! Thank you! I can't EVEN think of doing a wedding for my two! Their daddy and I will be a soppy mess. And can I pick my own sons in law? LOL Congratulations on your triumph in getting through two weddings in that short a time! A shiny medal is definitely in order! Blessings to your daughters!

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!