Monday, November 3, 2008

tooth officer



I made this tooth pillow for my nephew's 5th birthday party, which had a policeman theme. His mouth is the pocket for teeth and the loop is for the doorknob so the tooth fairy does not have to enter the child's room to retrieve the teeth. Or dig under their pillow for a tiny tooth, which always seems a bit risky to me.

In true Larissa fashion, I procrastinated making it until the morning of the party. Well, 2 hours before the party, really. If you'd like to make one, I'm pretty sure you could make it in very little time, because in that two hour span I: designed it, sewed it wrong, ripped out the sewing, fixed the strap, redid the sewing, fixed the strap again, stuffed it, and finished the face. All with time to spare for things like showering, dressing, making a handmade card, wrapping the rest of his present, and taking the eye makeup off my four year old that I forgot to take off last night.

I don't really recommend a schedule like that one. I actually had some chest pains as I was dressing. Here's a quick PDF pattern I made for a basic tooth pillow (policeman elements not included), if you'd like to download it and make your own version. If you like the police theme, the hat, belt and badges are easily made with some basic shapes. Enjoy!

NOTE: This pattern was updated on 2/10/09 with some minor improvements, so it won't look exactly like the image below. It's better!

23 comments:

  1. This is the cutest tooth fairy pillow I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing. I plan to make one for my grandson - thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I have always thought that I would my kids pillows in the shape of a tooth, like the one I had as a kid. Now you have gone and done all of the thinking for me. Thanks!

    p.s. Molly pattern review coming this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those teeth crack me up! I love the pillow - good idea on hanging it from the door knob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G just had to have his front tooth extracted this morning - a full year after his accident. :( So my tooth fairy plans have been moved up. Great timing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO wonderful, I've seen teeth pillows before but you brought it to a higher level with its incredibly cute uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, thanks a lot, everybody! I hope to make more for my girls and also for some tots I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has to be the cutest pillow I've ever seen! I love the idea of hanging it from the doorknob because all the kids I know seem to be light sleepers...my daughter included! Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is so cute and what a great way to use up your scrap pieces of fabric! I wanted to tell you about my Scraptastic Giveaway! I got a bunch of designer fabric scraps and I'm collecting ideas for what to make. I'll collect ideas until midnight Nov. 14 and then I'll choose the best idea, make it and send it to the one who thought of it! That way we can all benefit from the fun ideas that are posted! My blog is www.createstudio.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cutest tooth pillow I've ever seen!! That's a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is totally cute! I found you from One Pretty Thing! What a great stuffed tooth and I love your pattern too!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh, your plushy tooth is so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, I just love this! Thank you so much ! I have a daughter that is the perfect age for this, I may swap out the police mans outfit for a flower hat and tutu or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOU ARE SO GENEROUS TO SHARE THIS BEAUTY WITH US! THANK YOU LARISSA!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks again, everybody! I'd love to see the toofs you make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! My son is 5 years old, so I'm planning on making one for him. Thank you for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear larissa,
    You are so creative, congratulations for your idea and tutorial, amazing!!!
    All the Best!!!
    Carine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, I wanted to let you know this is the cutest thing and for you to share it with us is awesome! I am hurredly making one of these for my 5 year old who lost a tooth this morning. And for the record, I cannot sew and this hasn't been too hard (aside from sewing machine issues!). I'm working on the hat now and I'm having trouble freehanding one to look as cute as yours. Any tips?? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melissa,
    Hey, thanks for writing! three ovals (one big one for the hat, one smaller one for the brim, then add smaller still oval for the badge) should do it fine. Or you can also google for images of a police hat and take it from there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Não consigo acessar o link para receber as atualizações. A caixa não está configurada. O que devo fazer? Vou deixar meu email por aqui e você poderia cadastrar para eu receber as atualizações?

    Obrigada, Rose
    rosemerlim07@yahoo.com.br


    I do not obtain to have access link to receive the updates. The box is not configured. What I must make? I go to leave my email this way and you could register in cadastre I to receive the updates?
    Thanks, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi...soooo cool
    watch my own from your pattern
    do you like it:)
    http://sweetycraft.blogspot.com/2010/09/tooth-pillow.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!