Friday, January 14, 2011

girly shoe tags: a tutorial

As a practice I'm sure they'll talk about in therapy later, I often buy my girls the same shoes because when I find some that fit one well, they usually fit the other one well, and let's face it, I like to just get it done. And goodness knows if I happen to buy different pairs according to what I think each will like, one inevitably likes her sister's shoes better and it all ends in tears.

However, when you buy two pairs of the same you have a different problem - whose shoes are whose? I am not up for grubbing inside the shoe to search for the size tag. So I made some quick layered felt flowers with leaves in their favorite colors and sewed them on so that their latest casual shoes can be identified with a quick glance.

It's a quick and easy project and I thank myself for it every time they get dressed. You could also use an alphabet bead instead of a button for each girl's initial. If your shoes lack the obliging fabric or webbing inserts, you could always opt to sew them around the strap or add a clip. If you would like to make some girly shoe tags like these, here's the simple pattern PDF to download:

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

another anthro-mutation pillow and yes, I have a thing for birds and leaves

Angela Adams dishtowel pillow. With an older placemat pillow behind it.

I know winter has just begun (we've been locked inside for three days after a rare Georgia ice storm), but right after Christmas I always feel the pull toward citrus colors. I need cheerful things around me to make up for the weak sunlight.

When my BFF and I hit the Anthro in New Orleans a while back I got this great Angela Adams dishtowel. I can't imagine using dishtowels I buy there for drying dishes or mopping up milk. That just seems insane, so it was bought with future pillows in mind.

I cut the dishtowel in half and used one half of it to make the front of the pillow. It needed some applique leaves on a stem for a punch of color. Then it needed some embroidery on the bird to balance some of the new color. I was just going to back it with some contrasting fabric and stuff it, but then I realized:
  1. I was not in the mood to stuff anything. I really don't enjoy it.
  2. I had a pile of perfectly good square pillows just sitting there
So I added a strip of shot cotton and some trim to each end to square it up.

Then I backed it with denim that was overlapped in the middle just like I did to the napkin pillow here, so it is a removable cover. I stuffed in the square pillow, tacked it shut and added a button for looks.

Now I need to do something with the other half of the dish towel and cute leftover ball trim. I keep everything. You should see my ridiculous pile of scraps. It is really hard for me to throw away fabric. I did an epic cleanout of my craft loft yesterday and I made myself donate a bunch of thrifted fabric and clothing that has been sitting up here for ages. My husband saw the large pile I was carrying out and murmured "Thank you, Lord, for answered prayers" and wiped an imaginary tear from his eye. My craft loft is also his office.