Monday, April 6, 2009

wake up, bunny!

I promised pictures of an awake bunny when I launched the BBB pattern recently, and I've been having a bit of a quandary. Yeaaaaahh...I have tried the eyes embroidered like I envisioned for the pattern, but I just gotta tell ya. I no likey.


See above, blue bunny. Perhaps it is my non-expert skill as an embroiderer, but it just falls flat somehow. I don't prefer the shiny-ness factor of the satin stitch, and the shape is not as wide and cute as I'd hoped on an actual stuffed bunny. It looks. Well. Kinda weird, no? Is it me? Like she's squinting. Poor blue bunny.


So, nothing for it but to swallow my pride, admit I'm a doofus, and provide an alternative. See above. I've redone the eyes with a slightly different shape, and instead of completely embroidering the eye with a satin stitch, I opted to cut the basic shape from felt, stitch it on, then add an outline around the eye with more stitching. Last step, add a french knot highlight in each eye.


I like this much better. Sorry for the hard to see colors -- I adore this chocolate brown for the bunny's eyes, but it is not real easy to see the stitches, duh, shoulda used a lighter color. I lightened the photo quite a bit to increase the visibility, sorry if it looks blown out.

If you've bought a pattern and you prefer this New And Improved! method of the awake bunny, then just click on this link to download a new template and instructions for the eyes. If you prefer, I will very happily e-mail you a whole updated pattern with this change incorporated, just e-mail me to let me know.

10 comments:

  1. I see what you mean about the embroidered eyes - but I must say that the version with felt is perfect for an awake bunny. I really like the professionalism you have show about your work....

    The eyes somehow look a bit more kind in the felt version. So I downloaded that version to the pattern I bought from you a while ago. I plan to make your sweet bunny for a little 3 year old niece.

    Have a happy Easter :0))

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 was good, #2 is better. Nice work! And, no, you're not a doofus. Maybe an obsessive complulsive, sleep-deprived perfectionist, but definitely not a doofus. :)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the change! #1 awake bunny looked super cute on paper, but I agree that #2 works better in real life. Awake bunny is cute, I'm going to have a hard time deciding which one to make for my next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eyes are a hard one. i think that we are too picky on our own stuff. looks great. maybe a few lash-eyes (my kids call them that) for the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, y'all. You are always so encouraging. I guess I am a bit picky...but the second option is a definite improvement in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the eyes both ways :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The awake eyes remind me of the 30-Second Bunnies (http://www.angryalien.com/) when they get angry. :-P I think the sleepy one is so cute and cuddly-looking, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My 2 cents. I think you'll like the first eyes better if you take out the white dots. If you step back from it, the eyes are looking different directions due to the dots. You could put the white back in but they need to match so Bunny's eyes aren't cattywompus. (Can't tell you where to put the dots as I'm no artist.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. dachsynut, that is definitely a possibility. I've lost all perspective at this point! ha!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!