Thursday, February 17, 2011

two more messenger bags


I just managed to crank out these messenger bags from my stash for my two girls in time for Valentines Day. Well, Valentines Dinner I guess. Actually, more like right before their Valentines Bedtime. I don't really feel elaborate presents are required on Valentines, besides the requisite chocolate, but these bags were so overdue for them. They've carried the same little raggedy church totes I made them ever since they were babies, so it was high time they had new bags to carry their Bibles and notebooks.

I made plans to sew these months ago, and all of a sudden Saturday arrived and I realized I had until Monday to design and sew both bags. Story of my life. My calendar is out to get me.

  

Thing 2 had requested a doggie bag at some point in the distant past, so this is what I came up with. She's six, so I figured this was still cool for her to carry around.

The flap is from a thrifted tweed skirt (that turned out to be a bit too mini for me) and the body of the bag is some heavyweight green canvas that was also thrifted. The dog's face is appliqued using fleece and felted wool I had on hand. His floppity ears are fleece and cotton. I don't know why I chose those buttons. I had some black ones, but I liked the slightly crazed look of these two mismatched ones. Probably because it matched the look of my own at the time.

 
The lining is brown and turquoise cotton.

 Sorry for the wrinkles.

Thing 1's bag got a row of felted wool heart appliques with wool-blend felt hearts on top, because she is eight. Eight year old girls may decide at any moment that fuzzy, floppy eared animal bags are too babyish.

The body of the bag is dark blue denim and the flap is some olive-ish brown-ish heavyweight thrifted fabric. Of course I found out about halfway through construction that the stash denim I was using on the first round had lycra built in, which made it a stinking nightmare to sew in pencil pockets and match it together with the lining. I ended up having to go to Joann and purchase some denim that had no lycra and begin again. That's always nice when you are short on time.

 
 The lining is some AMH I had in my stash.


Our kitchen still looks Valentiney. (The green walls will soon be a light oyster. Can't wait.) The girls requested to keep our decorations up for the rest of the week. Why not? They both cut out a bunch of 
hearts from paper scraps and I sewed them together like I've seen on several crafty blogs this year. The effect is so lovely. The hearts constantly twirl on any breath of air, and the sun shines through them from the windows. At night they are lit by the pendant light. Big aesthetic bang for zero bucks.

 My dreamy renaissance man baked cupcakes with the kids last weekend. Pink cream cheese frosting from scratch. I do love him so.

Thanks so much for all the comments on the You'll Do Valentine. That was a hoot. We had a swell Valentines Day, and I hope you all did too.  It was a day with (other than manic bag sewing) some garland making, homemade valentines, unrestrained cupcake eating (which began at breakfast), and a quiet lovey dovey family dinner at home.

23 comments:

  1. Those bags are gorgeous and the dog one is adorable. Lucky girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of the bags! The floppy dog ears are too cute. Sounds like you had a nice V-day. We do a lovey dovey family dinner too, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh the bags look brilliant!! love the puppy dog especially. your girls must love carrying them around...go momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The puppy bag is so cute! Very fun. I bet my boys would love something like that :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely gifts! And I think the different button eyes are perfect! :) I write for the Examiner and would love to feature you and your patterns for sale on Etsy. Please contact me if you are interested! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. CUTE! I love messenger bags and these are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful bags. I appreciate that I'm not the only one who holidays creep up on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your bags! You are so creative! And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who leaves things till the last minute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pitter-Patter. Pitter-patter. I am in love with the dog bag. How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always, your creations are adorable! I'm sure your daughters were super happy with their bags.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cute! I love the dog. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those bags are so cute! I love them both but that dog is just too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that doggie bag! I might have to figure out how to put back pack straps on it for my 3yo boy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just great bags. I could never whip those out!

    I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "Warning...Dates on calendar are closer than they appear." I loved that! Always happens to me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks, y'all!

    Ana, I'm not sure they were. Of course bedtime may not be the ideal presentation time. Tired kids. They seemed pretty lukewarm about the bags and a lot more excited about the dollar store junk I put inside. That's how that goes. I'm sure it will grow on them, because, oh yes, they will be using them for a looooong time. :-)

    LaceyLady, great idea. The shoulder straps shouldn't be too bad to figure out? it would look cute as a backpack, but maybe scale it down some for a 3 yr old and add a snap closure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I wish I had thought of that adorable puppy purse. SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how the bags turned out! So - any puppy envy from Thing 1? I'm sure she was charmed by the hearts - so sweet. Good job, Mommy.

    Got my JG prints today, btw. Now I'm stressing over what color to paint the frames, if you can believe it...

    ReplyDelete
  19. the idea of design is so great. lovely applique :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not sure if I can put into words how very cute that puppy bag is!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That puppy bag is soo adorable! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!