Sunday, July 1, 2012

how to: french knots




I thought I'd publish this quick basic tutorial for french knots. I use them a lot for tiny eyes, noses and details, so they appear regularly in my patterns. This is how Larissa Holland does it. You may have a different method. But this works well for me! I recently updated the Wee Mouse Tin House pattern by adding this knot tutorial on the Resources page. It is also included in the new TravelWees pattern. Keep in mind I was photographing this myself, so I couldn't have my hand on the needle and the camera button at the same time. I drew in a quick stand-in for my fingers up there.
  • You can make your knot look bigger or smaller depending on how many strands of floss you use.
  • You can also make the knot look long instead of round by wrapping the floss around the needle more than two times.
  • Use lots and lots of knots to completely fill an area with nobbly texture.

And in a completely unrelated note, we just came back from a lovely week of VBS in Huntsvegas this last week. Jordan Park church always does an outstanding job! It is not a week of fluffety fluff, nosiree, there is always lots of great Bible teaching, but done in a way that is engaging and fun for kids. My girls LOVED every minute and were sad when it was over. Thanks to all the talented and creative teachers/helpers who made it happen, including my mom and my sister Leigh. I'm still singing the VBS Bible songs in my head. They are so catchy!

3 comments:

  1. This is by far the best picture of how to do this I have ever seen. I have always struggled with french knots to the point where I have unfinished projects. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great for me, since I have not perfect this knot al all....Thank you for sharing...Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!