Sunday, December 21, 2014

you + paper + Christmas music

 

 

Let the festooning begin! Still time to make some old fashioned Christmas decorations. Put on some Mel Tormé, get out your scissors, pour a cup of hot chocolate and make like Buddy.

Craft Finnish stars and hang them up. They look complex but are easy to make. I made mine last year using this tutorial. I packed them carefully away so I have them hanging up again this year. Last week the girls and I made mini Finnish stars from some sparkly paper for the girls' mini tree toppers (we used 6 inch x 1/2 inch strips). They work well as tree toppers because they just slip over the top spike of the tree, no holder necessary.


Of course you must cut snowflakes and tape them everywhere! They look nice on windows or fluttering from threads. Make a blizzard. Here's my tutorial.


And then make these clever and easy Simple Paper Stars made from origami paper. Add a few hundred paper chains and you are ready for Santa, Buddy style.


And I just saw these lovely paper ornaments from Design & Form. Pretty minimal instructions but you'll be OK. Very simple but nice! I need to make a couple of small paper trees for my mantel and I think I'll use this method.

And you know who has much knowledge about paper Christmas ornaments? Jessica Jones:
How About Orange paper ornaments posts

Just keep scrolling through those blog posts. She also has a great Christmas project Pinterest board going too. No shortage of ideas there. So much papery fun to be had! You may need another cup of cocoa.

8 comments:

  1. All your decorations look so pretty! Wish I did have time to make some. I'm still pluggin' away at an American Girl faux leather motorcycle jacket (shhhh!) that started out with 37+ little pieces! The end is in sight, thank goodness! And man, is it gonna be cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. woweeeeee, Grandma G! I would LOVE to see that finished project! So many pieces. She's gonna flip. American Girl doll in motorcycle jacket. Awesome.

      Delete
  2. JUST finished it. WHEW!!! Was more of a job than I anticipated... but a labor of love (and I always like a challenge ;) ). Haven't taken pics yet, but I'll send you some when I do. Can't blog it till after Christmas... although that isn't so far away anymore - yikes! Much to do yet!! :) Of course you're all ready already. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you make Finnish stars from felt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Abby! I don't see why not if it is stiffened felt. I don't think it would work well to use regular, soft felt.

      Delete
  4. Que trabajos tan bonitos, me gustan mucho las labores que hace.. Feliz navidad y próspero ano 2015..
    Un abrazo, mariace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, Mariace! Muchas gracias. Una muy feliz Navidad a usted y su familia!

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!