Thursday, October 1, 2009

robyn's messenger bag




I can share this now that Robyn has received her package with this and some other tiny goodies. I knew I wanted to make something fall(ish) for a girl with a September birthday. I was thinking this could be used to hold a few diapers, wipes, wallet, and chewy keys for some hands-free shopping.

I'm happy to say the construction of this one was much less tortured and plagued with mistakes. Came right together with minimal angst over color (it's like Jamie's with a different color combo). The bag is a really dark olive gray and I lined it with a mustardy yellow. I think the flap colors work ok, maybe a bit brighter than I was shooting for, but I was happy with it in the end.

I actually had an overabundance of ideas this time. There were 3 color combos all vying for my attention and I actually pieced the flap design for another one, but decided it was too summery looking for a September birthday. It will just have to wait for another occasion.



I decided to add some interest on the strap with some channel stitching this time. I love the look of contrast stitching, but it really lays the pressure on to be flawless with the sewing, and I can never manage it. Robyn, don't look too closely!


I also decided to make a little zippered pouch for it and I used this excellent tutorial to make one with french seams. I pieced it in the same colors as the bag with an orange interior.

If you'd like to make a messenger bag too, you can use my basic messenger bag tutorial here. Flap design is all you, though! Go crazy.

23 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. So beautiful, I'm jealous. Good job! You're extremely talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out great! Love the stitching on the strap. I've always had a thing for contrast stitching :). The applique work looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job... I love it! Wish I were one of your recipients. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEF my favorite! I LOVE LOVE the parttern! I just bought similar paper! and HAD to come check out the bag! BEEutiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everybody!

    grandma G, seriously? with all the cute bags you make? c'mon now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I know I could make one myself... but it would be so fun to be 'gifted' with one. ;-) And these are just soooo CUTE!

    (And don't tell Jess or Rae, but this bag is more 'my' style than the others I've been making. Shhhh!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandma G, if I don't tell them how will they know to make you one for christmas with the free tutorial? HINT HINT JESSICA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Larry, thank you so, so much again for my beautiful gift. I ventured out to the grocery store today in a grungy tee and flip flops, but felt totally stylish with my new one-of-a-kind bag... Love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bag is AMAZING! So cute. Seriously - I love it!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your messenger bags are fabulous Larissa! This broke lady will be making these for Christmas gifts this season! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work! This is totally something I would use :) The colors are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think a messenger bag would be a great birthday gift!! And I happen to have a summer birthday...just saying. :)

    Great job!! I'm working on my baby girl's Binky Bunny now. Can't wait to see how I do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sooooo want to make one of these bags. I just have too! Yours turned out gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bess, yeah c'mon with the money savings. the investment to make one is pretty minimal, so as gifts it is budget friendly! Just expensive in time. So don't wait until Dec 24th like i do.

    mel, nice try! ha! still plenty of time to hint around to one of your sewing buds. :-) And happy extremely early birthday to you. Good luck with the BBB!

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous bag! your sewing skills are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, there's so much hinting going on in these comments. Larissa, I LOVE this bag. I want one for Christmas. Hint, hint, Grandma G.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grandma G, this seems to have totally backfired on you.

    Jess, thanks! You make one for your mom and she'll make one for you. done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. See, Jess? I TOLD you it was really CUTE!!

    (Why do I get the feeling I'm going to end up making TWO of these bags???)

    LOL... my word verification is "slythot". Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh I just love this! Great colours, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i just love these messenger bags!! i start college in three weeks (now that our fifth is starting kindergarten, yay me!!!) so i was wanting a fun messenger bag for myself. hopefully i can get to it soon.
    oh, i followed a link from sew mama sew (http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=10712) just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  21. kelsimad, thanks a bunch and I had no idea my tute was on Sew Mama Sew! Cool. Thanks for letting me know. More power to ya on the going back to school after five kids! Here's to always learning, and having plenty of get-up-and-go.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    I have just pulled out my sewing machine and decided to make myself learn to do some basic things.

    My girls have both just started dance classes and need a little bag each to toss leotards and ballet slippers in.

    I'd love to pick yummy, special colors for them, but must admit that I have told myself I have to use up all the scrap fabric I've been carting around for years before I allow myself to buy anything new.

    So my girls get recession chic: camel microfiber with unbleached muslin lining and red velvet initials on the flap. An odd assemblage to be sure, but it's the love that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  23. LilySea, great luck to you on sewing your bags, and kudos to using your stash. I have the same dilemma when I have a new project, but mostly I'm just thankful if I don't have to make a trip to the store. Recession Chic. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!