Wednesday, December 29, 2010

handmade gifts 2010: turtle dove


Ok, so I went into ornament hyperdrive this year. Even though I had just made the three ornaments for her kids, I couldn't skip a 12 Days of Christmas ornament for Robyn, since the full set will be twelve years in the making (go here for the first installment). My eldest said, "Aren't you supposed to make two?" Then she said, "Mom, how old will you be when you finish the set?" Sigh.

The embroidery on the back was done when I was errrm...ready to be finished. You all know embroidery is not my strong suit. It was supposed to say "2nd Day, Love, M&L, 2010", but this works. Right?

I wish Robyn would blog the tree topper she made. If you've seen the really pretty Teeming Forest topper at Anthropologie, you will have also noticed the staggering (no pun intended) $498.00 price tag (it has since gone on sale for like $125). Is it made from uranium or something? So Robyn did her own version, and it is really pretty.

13 comments:

  1. I've been drooling over your partridge and pear for the last year and I love these, too! Please, please, please share the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just took my breath away again. The addition of sequins and embroidery really makes it. I think your embroidery is perfect on the back. (There's always a fine point sharpie for more detail....I find it's hard to embroider a lot of detail because it takes up so much space.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just went and looked at the Teeming Forest Tree Topper. You are right. Whew! What a price tag on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't find the teeming forest topper, but did notice a wooly pendandt light at over 400 pounds! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful as always :). Love the idea of a twelve days series, so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable. They remind me of the beautiful ornaments my Gramma used to make. I'm looking for ideas for making ornaments yearly for my grandkids, so you posted this at the perfect time for me! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My birdy is so, so pretty, Larry. And so, so exciting to have 10 more years to go!

    I do have to say that it is RIDICULOUS for you to be putting down your embroidery skills. I put a couple of your ornaments out at my felt ornament making party and everyone went on and on about your perfect stitching. Not your strong suit. Feh.

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Y'all, thanks for the kind words, as always. I just love making these things.

    Jennifer, I have plans to develop the series for the shop, Lord willing.

    Robyn, you are so sweet, but need I remind you about the wedding gift I gave Brian and Kristyn? I really hope they just threw the embroidery part away. I stay constantly frustrated and angry when I try to embroider. It's a ludicrous comedy of errors. Thread gets snarled frequently, I'm constantly pulling stuff out, mistitching things. It is not a restful activity for me AT ALL. It seems to take forever. I only soldier through it because it adds so much to the ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Larissa, I love reading your blog :0) and being inspired each time I do! I want to give you The Stylish Blogger Award! You are welcome to take the button from my blog and add it to yours. Also please take a peek at my Give Away for the 31st January, I do hope you participate and enjoy your Award:0)
    I wish you and your family a blessed Happy New Year.
    Val xx Oxfordshire UK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Val, thanks a bunch for the award! I can't see your profile, so I can't visit your blog. But happy new year to you, and best of luck with the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! and the 'how old?' from your kid sounds like my house!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!