Monday, December 27, 2010

handmade gifts 2010: Alice In Wonderland ornaments

The White Rabbit blew three blasts on the trumpet, and called out, 'First witness!'

Alice tried the little golden key in the lock, and to her great delight it fitted!

The Dormouse slowly opened his eyes. 'I wasn't asleep,' he said in a hoarse, feeble voice: `I heard every word you fellows were saying.'

These three ornaments were given to Robyn's kids along with a copy of the classic book for Christmas. I tell you I had such fun making these! They were a challenge but I always like a crafting challenge, especially one that plays to my strengths: 1) tiny size and 2) made from felt.

The dormouse and rabbit are from two really cute patterns purchased from here. I did deviate a bit from her instructions in the way I made the limbs and some other details, but the main parts follow her patterns.

After I had made those two woodland cuties I definitely needed an Alice, but I didn't have a pattern so I just kind of winged it for her. After a couple of false starts, I'm pretty happy with how she turned out. Her head is a large wooden bead and her hair was an experiment in folding and tacking felt.

I kept reminding myself to make notes and measurements as I went along on all the new pieces I was making for the animals and all the pieces for Alice, so that I can make another set for our own tree. We'll see if that ever happens. I still need to make myself the partidge and pear from last year.

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful! WOW! Those are boutique-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These ornaments are really amazing. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed. It would have been one of those discarded projects for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woman, you blow me away!! Such detailed work. I will be going to Robyn's to see these beauties in person!! Tell her not to pack them before I get home & to her house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely! What a wonderful gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These are amazing! Great job and such a lovely gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gasp! These are amazing and so are you! I wish I had an ounce of your creativity and talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are really, really amazing! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE these! So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, those are fantastic!! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beyond fabulous! Beautiful job, love them! I'm sure the kids were thrilled. I must get on the ball with handmade ornaments for my kiddos next year. I always love the ones you make, so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are crazy cute and so detailed, how fun!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, I love these ornaments. You are a superstar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. many thanks, everybody! I'm currently working on more ornaments in this floating vacation week between Christmas and New Year's. I'd like to make us the same Alice Ornaments, among others. I'm really glad I had the foresight to pack all my craft supplies even when I was dumb enough to forget to pack my coat(!) and also some very key Christmas presents. It's a wonder how I make through the days sometimes. Now I'm off to a hockey game wearing my sister's coat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! I love these. When I saw them I instantly thought..."Is that a bead head with felt hair?" Then I read on and you answered it for me. Yes indeed it was. I am so impressed. I would love to visit inside your brain for a little bit to see how all of this comes to be. I've been following you for a loooong time. I sometimes comment, but mostly I don't. I just love to come back often because I am always surprised and delighted to see what you are making.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Larissa, I cannot tell you how much I love these ornaments. They are treasures! When the kids finished oohing and aahing over them, Audrey asked nervously, "Um, Mommy, is Mrs. Merlissa is a better crafter than you are?" To which I replied, Absolutely. I'm just lucky to have such a talented friend and be the recipient of such beautiful gifts. This morning I overheard her and Gage arguing over whose ornament was best of the three. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them! They're great!! I hope you're having a wonderful Christmas! I wish you a Happy New Year 2011!! Hugs, Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anjeanette, thanks for breaking the comment silence! I'd let you into my brain, but I'm sure you'd be forever warped by the experience. I'm not even sure how my own mind works. Ha!

    Robyn, can I be Mrs Merlissa forever? I just love that. I'll just send her pictures of my quilt, and all the other stunning handmade treasures from you so she will know you are just being modest.

    ReplyDelete
  19. AWESOME!!!! Best I have seen. Pease stop by if you can :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where can I buy these ornaments!!???

    ReplyDelete
  21. blondiewife, you may buy the kit to make the dormouse and rabbit from the link I gave in the post text. The actual ornaments were not for sale, but I'm sure you could make some similar?

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!