Saturday, August 3, 2019

final prototype for 'Twas The Night Santa Claus ornament


This tiny, pink, wool felt Santa Claus ornament is the first in a new series of ornaments I'm designing based on Clement C. Moore's 1823 poem, A Visit from St. Nicholas. Most folks know that poem by its famous first line, "'Twas the night before Christmas".

Mr Pinkensparkl you see here is in the final proportions for the pattern, except maybe I'll vary what he's holding in his right mitten. Or maybe I'll give a couple options for that. Still mulling that one over.


If you like making super tiny accessories, you are going to love this ornament. I'll include all my tips for doing this. Get your reading glasses and Ott Lites ready for action. haha! Cup of coffee is also very helpful.

This new series will feature some familiar North Pole citizens, along with some other things to evoke the magic of the classic poem. I'm having so much fun making these Santas! They are very similar to making the people ornaments from my Twelve Days series, only with less embroidery and more Christmas sparkle added in the form of sequins and glass seed beads. I love the vintage look that the combination of wool felt and sequins give them.


The best kind of mess is on my desk lately. All the wool felt colors I'm using for my samples so far are from Benzie Design, not to mention their fantastic array of colored seed beads and sequins. Their sequins are a bit smaller than the ones I've found at the craft store -- 4 mm as opposed to 5 mm, and Benzie sequins are not cupped, they're flat. They work really well for the small scale of this ornament, and I find the seed beads are such nice quality -- uniform size and shape with holes that you can fit a regular sewing sharp through. #winning

No worries, you can still use the fantastic and wonderful and magical Sulky Stick N' Stitch to sew these ornaments more quickly and accurately. I have found that the seed beads and sequins I have do just fine for the few minutes you have to soak them to wash away the stabilizer. Yay!

Stay tuned for updates on this Santa Claus ornament pattern soon. I'll be releasing him sometime in August, but can't give a date. Too many variables! 

23 comments:

  1. Oh, so looking forward to creating these. Love your work.
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. And is Mrs Claus soon to follow...I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will these be offered for sale? I do a lot of cross stitching and sewing but these little guys are just not my thing. But they are so cute and I have a favorite sister-in-law who collects Santa's. I am constantly on the lookout for unique ones that she won't find in a store. Let me know. Thanks, Barb Meyers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barb, I don't sell completed ornaments but you might find a crafter who will make a custom one for you here:
      https://mmmcrafts.blogspot.com/p/mmmakers.html

      Delete
    2. Hi, Barb, I left a response but it moved. Here it is again:
      Barb, I, too am a cross stitcher but I have been wooed into Larissa's beautiful designs and I promise you that they are a joy to make and Larissa's descriptions make everything simple and easy. I was surprised I pulled it off, but I ended up making the entire 12 Days of Christmas ornament series for my neighbors and they looked AMAZING! I'm sure you can do this and will enjoy it and also that your sister-in-law will be touched that it was made by you. But if you AREN'T up for it, I'd be happy to make one for you for purchase. You can contact me through my blog: TabithaThompson.com (sorry, it's a bit sparse, I tend to sew more often than blog!)

      Delete
    3. Hi, Tabitha (or Catt?), wow -- thanks so much for this glowing review of my Twelve Days patterns. You officially made my day! What lucky neighbors to get handmade gifts! Thanks for reaching out to Barb. I hope you enjoy the Santa Claus pattern! :-)

      Delete
  4. Larissa, This Santa is so gosh golly cute!!
    Your felty designs are exceptional

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great FO! Beautiful details. I can't wait to see the entire series. I look forward to sewing up a Santa or two myself. - Siobhán

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Siobhán! :-) I have to admit, I do not know what FO means. I keep trying different word combos in my head. I hope you will enjoy the pattern when it is finished! :-)

      Delete
    2. Sorry!! It's a common acronym used in knitting, another craft I enjoy greatly... Finished Object. :D

      Delete
    3. OH! *light pops on* hah! I am not a knitter so maybe thats' how I've missed it. :-)

      Delete
  6. I just have to GUSH about how FANTASTIC this Santa is. Your designs are an absolute pleasure to make and they make ME look like I'm an amazing artist, but you make it easy. I can't wait to see your new Twas the Night series. How many ornaments do you think there will be? (I'm guessing there will be a mouse in there and I'm sure he'll be adorable! Squee!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cheeks burning* Yowza, thanks so much, Catt. Can't tell you how many ornaments yet -- it's still in the planning stages. I'll keep the specifics under my hat til I'm ready! :-) I'm enjoying the possibilities!

      Delete
  7. I'm excited for the Santa pattern to be released. I've made most of the 12 Days of Christmas and love your patterns. Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so in the mood to make your Santa! Love your patterns... Hard to wait....a Mrs. CLAUS too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan! Thanks so much! Yes, Mrs Claus is in the lineup. :-)

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!