Thursday, December 1, 2011

what I'm up to.


Well, what I didn't do was shop on Thanksgiving weekend. Sorry, National Economy. I sat around and enjoyed the days by feeling thankful, eating large numbers of pecan bars (Thanks a lot, Leigh. No really. They are evil.), watching my family watch the Bama game and occasionally sending out a supportive Whoo! (I was at the kitchen table making an ornament), watching the 1st season of Gilmore Girls with my mom, and taking a very occasional walk.

 

I have to show you the wondrous Thanksgiving table my sister Leigh set for our family feast. Isn't it beautiful? (the off-topic birthday banner was for my nephew Michael). There was also a satellite kiddie table with equally fancy settings that is not in the picture. The main table is huge, but that is all an illusion. Underneath it is my Mama Graham's regular sized dining table. Over the top of that is a cleverly built ginormous round plywood tabletop that has additional support legs, which is brought up from the basement and assembled for special occasions like this. Leigh really should do a guest tutorial so you can make one too, huh?


We did something most agreeable this year after the Thanksgiving feast too: a Gently Used Jewelry And Makeup Swap amongst the older gals in the family. We all cleaned out our jewelry boxes and makeup/toiletry kits ahead of time and then drew numbers. Things got pretty heated. Almost violent. Lots of guilt trips. Some snide remarks. It was excellent! And I ended up with some cool new-to-me pieces (above, just some of my loot) and a new lipstick color. After we were done, my daughters got to choose some play jewelry from the leftovers, and then the rest was donated to a local thrift store.

The shopping apathy lasted through the weekend and somehow I let CyberMonday also slip by (I was busy watching Edward and Jacob worry over skeletal Bella) and now I'm kicking myself for missing out on the online deals on Calico Critters, which my daughters are pining hard for and which are priced like nuclear grade uranium. Sheesh.


What I'm doing on today, Dec 1st, is getting out all our Christmas decorations. I'm trying to ignore the fact that the contents of my china cabinet are all on top of the TV armoire and that I still have no floor in my kitchen. It's bare slab cement with construction paint lines, mystery stains and patches of old vinyl flooring in places. It's real festive. Being rectified soon. Crossing fingers.

I need to stuff the mirrored advent calendar before I take it downstairs. I dream each year of making tiny things to go in it, but of course at the last minute I bought some peppermint kisses, LPS teensies and some weird hairy animal pencil toppers who get an amazing hairdo if you spin your pencil. I also have tiny wooden ornaments for their (new!) small white Christmas tree. That will buy me some time and maybe I can put in something cool and handmade. I have ideas for tiny felt necklaces. And this will be our second year with the awesome Playmobil advent. The girls are excited to see that one again.

I've got a pile of needlebooks started and a few thousand felt ornaments I'd like to make, and some I've actually completed.

And. I kinda hate my handmade stockings. I'll be attempting those again.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot is on your list.

    Gilmore Girls is great fun I think, have watched it while I was pregnant with the girl... 6 years ago.

    Good luck with the stockings, here the kids still love their "Nutcracker-Ballet-Themed-Stockings" I made two years ago..

    Enjoy the advent season with calenders, decoration and some time to enjoy a cuppa tea and cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you sketching out stockings a couple of years ago... what happen to those ideas?

    Ack! about the floor! Full redo, or just partial?

    I missed the shopping 'fun', too. Glad you got to spend the time with Edward, Jacob and Bella, tho.

    Can't wait to see finished ornaments!

    And yes to the table tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, thanks! You enjoy your holiday time too. I'm going to try to be better about scheduling in some relaxation. Your stockings sound pretty! pictures?

    Jessica, I've no idea what sketches those might have been. I'm on a whole new thing now. LOL. Kitchen floor, full redo in laminated wood. Wood flooring was late coming in. Can't wait to show the ornaments. You'll have to bug Leigh Ann about the tutorial. She didn't take the bait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the jewelry swap idea~ may use that idea with the lovely ladies in my life

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a fantastic table!! I wish we had a big round one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here you see them, Larissa.

    http://noesfamilie.blogspot.com/2009/10/nuknacker-nutcracker.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! Leigh needs to do an expand your dining room table tutorial. What a brilliant idea! I can't wait till I have a garage or a basement and make me one of those. So so smart. And a jewelry swap is awesome, I might have to propose that to my sisters. Good luck with the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a jewelry & gently-used-makeup swap! How fun!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!