Sunday, January 3, 2016

handmade gifts 2015: swan a-swimming and two replacement ornaments for Robyn


The December handmade parade continues...

I was hoping to send Robyn a Maid a-Milking ornament in addition to this new Swan a-Swimming, but time slipped away from me and I was only able to finish Mr Swan here. I think the final pattern will be very similar to this one, but I added some sequins and glass beads to hers for a little sparkle.


Closeup of the stitching for you there. If you are working on my Twelve Days ornament series, it's really easy to add some sequins under your French knots if you like. Or if you just hate sewing French knots (c'est toi, Beth!) you can use a small glass bead in place of a French knot and also layer a sequin underneath the bead for sparkle.


I sent all three of these ornaments to her this year, but only the swan is new. Those top two are actually repeats of nos. 2 and 4. She already has earlier versions of them from years past, but it was really bugging me that her versions don't match the current series and I just like this Turtle Dove and Colly Bird better. They have some added sparkle sewn on them too. Robyn's perfectly welcome to prefer the earlier ones, of course! She knows I'm a bit cracked this way. It's alright.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh! I LOVE the swan a swimming! BEAUTIFUL! Is it available yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, Jeannie, but will be released later, probably in the late winter or spring.

      Delete
  2. I love Swan a Swimming, too! I just finished Geese a Laying and have the first six finished. Your patterns are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ramona! Wow, thanks! I'm so glad you are enjoying the series.

      Delete
  3. Love the swan! Still waiting for somebody to make them all for me. Ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma G, I'll take care of that for you.
      "Ohhhhh, Jessicaaaaaaaaa..."

      Delete
    2. Careful... she just sewed something with her machine (did you see 'em?). I wouldn't want to distract her too much! ;)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely things here on this blog! Very nice! I follow you from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. <3 <3 <3 Love the swan. Also, though I have successfully done french knotting it is not my favorite, so thank you for suggesting the beading which I think I might try . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larissa you have designed the perfect swan for the collection. I know what I will be doing tomorrow! Thank you for sharing your talent with us. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Elizabeth! Wow, thanks! Your Twelve Days ornaments are just beautiful!

      Delete
  7. I love ALL of my ornaments! Mmmmsparklyembroiderygoodness...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work, every single one. I can't decide which one to make.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!