Saturday, January 26, 2019

International sources for wool felt and pattern supplies

Photo: Lovely 100% wool felt samples and cards sent to me by from Cloud Craft UK

You guys know I have trusted felt vendors I work with here in the US, but because international shipping can get a little pricey I do get a lot of questions about where to source wool felt overseas. I asked my customers on FB where they purchase their felt and received so many helpful responses! Thank you! I thought I'd compile a handy list of some vendors* here for you, and I'll continue to update it as I become aware of more in other countries. Might give you a good lead if you are looking for a domestic source!

*These have been recommended to me by other crafters and some vendors have kindly sent me samples/color cards (shown in the photos), but I have not personally sewn with their felt nor purchased items from them. This list is intended as a reference for your convenience only. Please use the same diligence and discretion you would use with any internet or in-store purchase.


Photo courtesy of Bear Dance Crafts

CANADA
  1. Bear Dance Crafts - Westholme, BC. 100% wool felts, glitter felts, metallic felts. Materials kits offered for some MmmCrafts patterns. 
  2. Gingermelon - Vancouver. Merino wool felt and also wool blends.


Photo: Lovely wool blend felt color cards sent to me by Billow Fabrics UK

UNITED KINGDOM
  1. Billow Fabrics - National Nonwovens wool blend felts (some of the same colors that Benzie carries) ask them about bundles
  2. Cloud Craft - 100% wool felts
  3. Felt Better - 100% wool felts, metallic felts, glitter felts, Sulky stabilizer. Ask about supplies and kits especially pulled together for MmmCrafts patterns.
  4. Paper-And-String - Wool blend felts, glitter felts, DMC flosses 
  5. Tactile Craft Supplies - Wool blend felts
  6. Wool Felt Company - 100% wool felts

Photo: Lovely commercially dyed and hand dyed 100% wool felt samples and color cards from WinterWood AUS

AUSTRALIA
  1. My Felt Lady - Chinchilla, Queensland. 100% wool felts, metallic felts, glitter felts. Materials kits and supplies offered for some MmmCrafts patterns.
  2. WinterWood Felt and Craft Supplies - Warrenwood, Victoria. 100% wool felts, both commercially and hand dyed, metallic felts, glitter felts, wood beads
  3. Felt Craft Studio - Central Coast. 100% wool felts, viscose felts, metallic/glitter felts
THE NETHERLANDS 
  1. Bij Vilt Enzo - Wool blend and 100% wool felts
  2. De Viltwinkel - 100% wool felts

If you've had a great experience with a non-US wool felt vendor, feel free to leave it in the comments! (Please no self-promotion. Anonymous comments will be deleted.)


12 comments:

  1. I've bought from Winterwood before and the felt is lovely quality and the service great and recently I ordered for the first time from Two Little Birdies and they were fabulous too , my parcel arrived really quickly Both great suppliers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Germany and had a hard time finding a vendor in my own town, so I was pleased to find this one online. http://www.kleinetroll.de/DE-WEBsite/Home-de.htm Maybe it will help someone else too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thanks so much for sharing your German source for wool felt! That way I can pass it along if someone asks.

      Delete
  3. Hello Larissa, I am so excited about your new bright colors for the 12 days ornaments, they are beautiful. I was wondering when will you post the last four - Emerald Colorway? I already purchased and made the gold and sapphire color story and I am anxiously waiting to start on the Emerald Colors.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I’m so glad you like the colorways for Felt On the Fly! I am putting together the 5th and last sample in the Emerald colorway this week. I’ll have those photos available soon for inspiration, but actually Janet already sells the color bundle in her shop if you’d like to order...

      Delete
  4. I have a question about the hanging loop. Is there an alternative way you can suggest to sew it on so when the ornament hangs, it dosnt twist and turn out of place so much? Im not hanging them on a Christmas tree but a twig type tree where there arnt any other supporting branches to keep them in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dana! A faster way to get answers on pattern questions is via mmmcrafts.etsy.com. :-) Yes, instead of sewing the loop on from one spot, try sewing the loop down in two places, about 1/8" apart or even a bit further. I hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Also, just thought I'd mention you can skip using the floss loop and just sew a jump ring on that spot, or a small floss loop, then use a wire hook that you can adjust however you like. Just another option! :-)

      Delete
  5. The Felt Factory in New Zealand https://www.thefeltfactory.co.nz sells lovely wool felt, wooden beads, pipe cleaners, Sulky Stick & Stitch and other useful stuff. I started off the Twelve Days ornaments with a kit from My Felt Lady in Australia and have supplemented since then with purchasing from The Felt Factory 🙂.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where can I find mini chenille stems in the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you cannot find them at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or JoAnn, I suggest you give a 6 mm chenille stem a haircut with a rotary cutter.

      Delete
    2. Also, check with Benzie Design. I believe they sell 3 mm white and black stems.

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!